Value 2: Let go of those things that keep you from Shalom
The 10 Commandments were designed to show the people of God what it meant to be Human
20 Then God spoke all these words: 2 I am the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
- To be human means you are in Right Relationship with God
- “3 You must have no other gods before me.”
- To be human means you can know where you stand with God
- “4 Do not make an idol for yourself—no form whatsoever—of anything in the sky above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth. 5 Do not bow down to them or worship them, because I, the Lord your God, am a passionate God. I punish children for their parents’ sins even to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me. 6 But I am loyal and gracious to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.”
- To be Human means you will reverse the first sin of humans
- “7 Do not use the Lord your God’s name as if it were of no significance; the Lord won’t forgive anyone who uses his name that way.”
- To be Human is to acknowledge you aren’t a machine
- “8 Remember the Sabbath day and treat it as holy. 9 Six days you may work and do all your tasks, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. Do not do any work on it—not you, your sons or daughters, your male or female servants, your animals, or the immigrant who is living with you. 11 Because the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and everything that is in them in six days, but rested on the seventh day. That is why the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.”
- To Be Human means you acknowledge you have value besides what you produce.
- 12 Honor your father and your mother so that your life will be long on the fertile land that the Lord your God is giving you.
- To be human means you are in right relationship with other humans
- 13 Do not kill.
- To be human means you honor your humanly contracts
- 14 Do not commit adultery.
- To be Human means you give rather than take
- 15 Do not steal.
- To be Human means you show respect to God and Others with your words.
- 16 Do not testify falsely against your neighbor.
- To be Human means than you find contentment in who you are with, what you have, and where you are going.
- 17 Do not desire your neighbor’s house. Do not desire and try to take your neighbor’s wife, male or female servant, ox, donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.
You can not be a whole human yourself, while you are disloyal to God, Acting like a machine, hurting others, stealing or breaking contracts, or lying to someone else or even yourself.
- Are you breaking a commandment?
- Are you lying to someone else or yourself about being whole?
- What do you need to let go of in your search for a simple life?